Originally Posted by e70msportmia View Post
I agree with most of the posts!

4. Issues I have had:
(1st year of ownership 46k miles)

Water pump and thermostat (paid)
O2 Sensor DIY
Starter DIY
Rear air suspension (air bags) DIY

Besides this I love my x5 and must have 214 wheels staggered with the flared sides.
Question regarding the starter. What made you need to replace it? I've had a brief grinding noise at start up during cold weather for the past two years, but it always starts. The dealer wouldn't replace under warranty since I couldn't replicate it. Now that I'm out of warranty, I fear that the starter will need to be replaced sometime in the near future. How easy was it to replace?
I had noticed that when I would start the car it wouldn't just turn on, it's difficult to describe.

The crank was just slow, very slow. At first thought it was the battery, so I took it to a local Interstate Battery and had it checked. The battery was practically new.

My second guess that it was the starter. One day on the way to work I stopped to get coffee and that's as far as I got. The car was just dead, no crank no nothing. The towing was a mission because it's 4WD and they just couldn't pull it. That's another story.

After I got the car towed I made it to the dealer and bought the starter $280 plus $50, once you return the old one they give you back the $50.

I have a buddy of mine who is a tech at the dealer and he gave me all the pointers. It's a PAIN IN THE ASS job to do. You need to remove the intake manifold and it's right below it. It's very uncomfortable and tight. There is a lot of disassembly and then once done put back everything you took out. Easier said than done. I'm not a mechanic or a tech or anything of the sort, just have the tools and some know how. This job requires special extensions for the ratchet and socket.

My DIY scale 1 - 10
Brakes - 2
Rear air suspension - 2
Starter - 7 a lot disassembly
O2 sensor - 1 very tight need special tool

After doing it I felt proud because I saved a ton of money as I do on all maintenance jobs. But this one was hard, can be done but it's having patience and a some experience with an engine.

If decide to do PM me and I can give you my number. Good luck!
Appreciate 0