01-27-2016, 01:01 PM   #36
heatmizr
Captain
United_States
Rep
Drives: E70 X5 50i M-Sport

Quote:
Originally Posted by theaudir8fan View Post
Going from RFT to non-RFT is beneficial, however conceptually, reducing mass from the rotor and the wheel itself in this case is no different as both of these are rotating mass, what you are referring to is if the reduction came from moving components such as the hub carrier but not rotating mass which the brake rotor is a part of
Well yes, but to be exact, if you are talking rotating mass (wheel or brake rotor) the further out from the axle that 2 lbs is, the bigger the difference. So, 2 lbs removed from edge of rim is better than removing those 2 lbs from close to the center of the wheel. So if the 2 lbs is reduced from the wheel further out than the rotor, it will make a bigger difference. Most of the wheel is further out than the rotor.
Likewise, a lighter tire is even better than lighter rim, as the tire sits further from axle.

Realistically, it's almost impossible to know where the weight was reduced from. If you put the wheel on a scale, its one single number. I guess you could mount it on something and spin it, and measure the force it takes to stop it. Who will do this?

In terms of unsprung weight / suspension movement, both these would contribute to the benefit of reduced mass equally; and both would be equal to reducing the (non-rotating) wheel hub by the same amt.
e90 328i - sold
e36 M3 - Gone to become a track star

Last edited by heatmizr; 01-27-2016 at 01:06 PM..
Appreciate 0