View Single Post
      06-25-2015, 01:28 AM   #99
Serpent720
Private
Rep
Drives: F31 328i

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drew46 View Post
@Serpent270: I tried your file and it looks like you've nicely equalized the various channels and gain levels closer to reference levels so nice job there!

In my car, this profile tends to be a little bright for my ears but this is yet another starting point for further tuning. When I get more time, I'm going to see if I can boost the bass to my taste.

I just realized you have the BavSounds installed so I'm betting that's a key difference. It also *really* helps me understand the impact of those drivers compared to OEM and what the overall timbre balance will be if/when I upgrade.

I did notice that across the board the gain values for each channel in your profile are 4-5 db lower than the OEM default .afp file. Do you find the Bavsounds are more efficient and do not need the extra gain for equivalent volume? (That is, if you ever tested the upgrade with the old OEM speakers!)
Thank you so much Drew46

I did not test with the OEM speakers, because BSW has a stronger Mid-Bass and smoother tweeter.

I agree with you, and I am trying to find a setting to trim the treble a little and I am also working on the vocal freq. to make it more applicable to cover most of my favor songs.

For setting up the GAIN in the speakers, I was following the setup menu to turn the head-unit volume at 100% and slowly increased the channel gain until I heard the distortion from the speakers. I noticed that at -5.5 dB, the BSW speakers started to have a little bit of distortion in the tweeter, so I back off a little to set it at -6dB. Then I used the same GAIN setting for the front-mid BSW speaker.

Interestingly, I found the Focal IFBMW can take up to -4.5dB without any distortion at 100% Head-unit volume. My Focal speakers are used for the rear channels, so I set it to -7dB for the rear setup to keep the front stage effect.

After all, I love the BSW (Mid + tweeter) sound which is comparatively smoother than FOCAL from low to mid-high volume, and I do not often turn my music too loud in my car.

If you finish your tune, I would love to try your setting too.

Keep us posted about your progress
Thanks

Last edited by Serpent720; 06-25-2015 at 04:21 AM..
Appreciate 0