09-11-2014, 12:31 PM   #1135
Billup
Banned
Burkina Faso
Rep
Drives: Your mum crazy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by John 070 View Post
Here's a really unusual concept. If something breaks on a car, it stinks. If it's a BMW, this is what I had in mind when I got a thud thud thud noise on the way to work the other day:

Balance of savings account before going to work: $48,327.98.

Bearing failure: $93.81 for the bearing, $4.15 x 4 for the one-time use bolts, free shipping, no tax. That's $110.41 for the parts I need. Downtime may be 2 wks. or more before I can do it, because we're going away this weekend. My bank account is going to be hit and have a balance of $42,217.57 as a result of being out of warranty. That's kind of how it works, when you have no warranty, you pay out of pocket for repairs. My Nissan has been out of warranty for 11 1/2 yrs. now. It's not very scary or dramatic.
Well, I drove the hell out of my car when I bought it, and ran out of warranty, and ended up having valve cover gasket leak, because there was a huge crack in the rear, and the gaskets themselves were leaking, along with needing new plugs and coils.

I did the plugs and coils for around $300. BMW helped me out with a $1,300 bill for the remaining repairs.

I would have loved to have a warranty at that time. Instead, my bank was my warranty fund. Sad day.
Appreciate 0