View Single Post
      06-28-2014, 04:25 AM   #12
Connery1969
Rep
Drives: X6-40D

Garage List
2010 BMW X6 40d  [0.00]
Thanks all for the replies. Didn't have much time hence late response.

My Update:[LIST][*]PS fluid : Level is OK[*]Control arm : With the car stationary or moving whilst steering hard left to right there is no play or noises[*]Transfer case : As the symptoms seem to match this is still my best option ( unfortunately). I would like to find out more on the functionality of the transfer case & steering system but the internet does not reveal much.

Apparently Workshop manuals are not published in hard or soft copy. If someone knows where to get them please let me know. Happy to pay for it.

The symptoms so far:
Driving UP a twisty very steep mountain road @ very slow speed, sharp steering corners there is the sensation of vibration, creaking components, as if the tyres have too much grip and do not want to turn. The engine (viscous coupling is probably just its biting point ?). It is clearly noticeable and without a doubt not intended to be this way.

Driving DOWN the same hill the symptoms are not/or hardly there.

On a flat parking lot, with the car in DRIVE & maximum steering angle, allowing the car to creep forward, whilst applying very light on/off brake force, the same vibrating, creaking sensation in the steering wheel & bulkhead appear.

Whilst parking in reverse against a very gentle incline, then stopping and applying the foot brake the car is stopped. Following applied the Parking brake and released the foot brake the car rolls forward for 3/4 foot / 20 cm. Reading about automatic gearboxes and parking brakes this seems to be rather normal, but if someone with an rather new X6 could confirm I can rule this out as a contributing factor.

Mid July BMW will inspect the car, but I am somewhat sceptical as several customers were not too happy....Anyway will give it a try as I would like to claim under the extended warranty that is on the car.

Thanks all,
Appreciate 0