View Single Post
      10-31-2011, 01:43 PM   #12
Samurai of 2day
Major
Rep
Drives: '22 X6M/'21 S1Krr

Quote:
Originally Posted by NYCGP View Post
HP means nothing without factoring in weight. If it was based on HP alone... your bike wouldn't be very fast compared to your X6 would it?

We used to call what you did "ricer math". The only true way to know gains is to Dyno your truck without mods and then dyno again with them. There are lots of dynos in tri-state area. Since you have an N54 engine.. I would recommend stopping by E90post's Forced Induction section for more detailed info on the capabilities of your engine. Remember your truck weighs roughly 1500 lbs more than the average 335i.

There are some amazing vendors that are associated with Bimmerpost that I am sure can assist you in dyno'ing your car. Keep your eyes peeled in the Tri-State section of the Regional forums for a Dyno day. It will give you the opportunity to meet some other BMW enthusiasts and dyno your car at a reduced rate.

I would be shocked if your truck was doing sub 5 second 0-60 times with just a tune considering its power to weight ratio. But I will not completely deny its possibility due to the trucks AWD. I will put it to you like this. A tuned N54 can keep up pretty well with most SRT8s. A stock 335i is considerably faster than the non-performance hemi's. You having a tuned N54 and beating the non-performance hemi's is not surprising. Just remember your truck weighs 2 and a half tons... takes a lot to get that big butt moving.
LOL, you are right about that!. I understand that HP / wheight goes hand in hand and that because my car is heavier than the 335i, the N54 engine would have to do some work to get her moving. I will look out for the DYNO shops again because the info you provided has me curious once again and I would like to get the truth.

Another forum user mentioned something similar to me but as the months went by, and the satisfaction I feel when moving out on the cars I have put mine up against, my interest in DYNO kinda faded. Untill now. Thanks for the info. I should have talked with someone with as much experience with tuning as you seem to have a long time ago but I'm still happy with the performance of my car... even though I wouldn'd mind having an ///M badge on her... maybe next time after she gets a major face lift.